[ACT I] the beast help
27.10.2007 @ 11:05 #21
27.10.2007 @ 12:43 #22
Yes, and this fight is realy, really, really easy on hard diff for me. Believe me ;)
For ex. barghests are spawning from little "magical fireplaces" there. you can use aard on it and see what will happen ;)
And alchemy is your friend there (not only potions i mean).
27.10.2007 @ 12:52 #23
I agree, its just a massive ramp up in difficulty with no warning, its not obvious going into that game section that:
1. You wont be able to backtrack to help improve your odds
2. That its about to lead to such a powerful enemy
You just cant expect everyone to have made the most effective choices to be able to get past this section, thats pretty much the nature and choice. Makes Oblivions rather clunky autobalance feature look pretty good now.
Anyway, I've managed it now, I killed the beast, I went back, did a enough sidequests to get 3 upgrades which I used on my weapon skills. I also used a weapon upgrade, it was still really difficult though and took 5 shots, and I got pretty lucky with the heals on the last time as well. I spent a lot of time I didnt enjoy on this section and had to go through that wretched cutscene so many times.
The choice you have just before that combat has an effect too, taking the other opinion actually makes it a lot easier, but if this game is about choices I want to make them and stick to them.
I really hope this is a one off problem because Im not going to make it to the end if there are problems like this all through the game.
Oh and if you manage to kill the beast, and I dont want to spoil anything but watch out if you have low health, its not quite finished when you kill the dog.
Right... now back to having fun hopefully!
Thanks to everyone who put helpful comments here
27.10.2007 @ 16:00 #25
27.10.2007 @ 16:29 #26
27.10.2007 @ 17:34 #27
Yes it sounds simple, but when you don't have any potions left, because you wouldn't expect the battle of your life after exiting the cave, things get really, really bad. I will try until I succed of course, but I feel already one year old because of this. >:(
27.10.2007 @ 19:01 #28
But on the other hand the beast it is chapter 1 final boss fight so it seems natural to be a dificult fight no ?
And a question for those who play the game on hard ... why play a new game (a game you don't know very much about how the characters develop ... what usefulness have all the skills etc ) on the hardest difficulty ? And if you choose this expect that things won't go always smooth and you may even restart the game because you made the wrong decision at level up ;) That is why it is called HARDEST.
27.10.2007 @ 20:49 #29
I really would like to measure my words, because I genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed the game till this battle happened.
I don't consider myself a "hardcore" gamer, but I have played enough CRPGs and MMOGS to consider myself at least as "trained". I also enjoy the challenge, which is why I picked "Normal difficulty" when starting the game.
The sometimes irresponsive commands and lousy targetting during battles I can handle : for example, when a monster gets stuck behind geometry, there seems no way for me to keep attacking it without backing off first.
The poor feedback on battle events (no messages, or flashy icons popping up ?) preventing me from defending myself or moving is also annoying as hell, but fine, why not. Perfect games do not exist, unfortunately.
However, there is NO excuse for "forcefully" throwing the PC in such a major battle in a roleplaying game without giving the player any kind of preparation time prior to it. It is not like an ambush or another surprise factor is involved : Geralt was actively looking for the beast!
Also, what exactly does motivate a sorceress that just escaped from the stake to run into the fray with a puny dagger against a demon beast ?
Please take my rant lightly, because I am certain that I will succeed in slaying the beast, and be able to continue the game. I just need to vent off the frustration. However, the disappointment will remain, because everything else seemed so fantastic till now... I wish this battle had never come to ruin the fun of my game.
27.10.2007 @ 21:31 #30
27.10.2007 @ 21:35 #31
it is madness 10 times loading game! Developers play the game themselves?
I really liked the beginning, very nice and interesting, but this BEAST!!! It is unreal for me! Do something please, i want to play game!! please!
make patch or something. is there any cheats, trainer, some way to set godmode and etc.
I really want to play but can't. i don't know what to do, it is impossible for me. I don't want to uninstall witcher only because I can't kill this beast :(((((
27.10.2007 @ 21:50 #32
Things to do BEFORE the villagers lock themselves in their homes:
1. Buy the specter oil from Abigail
2. Boost the sign of Aard
3. Gather the ingredients required to make the potions swallow and blizzard, then make those potions
4. Complete as mush side quests as possible
Things to do BEFORE you leave the cave and face the angry villagers:
1. Drink the potion swallow
2. Drink the potion blizzard
3. Put specter oil on your steel sword
Things to do DURING the fight with the beast:
1. Focus your attacks on the beast
2. Use group attacks when you are truly surrounded
3. Run away if your health is low and keep running until it's back up
4. Use the sign of Aard on the beast when he lost about half his health
28.10.2007 @ 00:02 #33
As fate would have it, I beat the Beast shortly after posting here. I beat it thanks to the healing of Abigail, and thanks to Geralt's awesome "hopping around" ability to regenerate with the Swallow potion effect :D
I almost exclusively used his "Group killing" talent (key "C"), pounding the Beast and killing the smaller barghests at the same, to keep them all away from Abigail so that she could heal Geralt.
I am totally bluffed again by the quality of the story in Chapter II : I am having so much fun. It was worth all my efforts in Chapter I to slay that meanie, each and every of them!
PS : I am sorry if my previous post came out too negatively, but I still believe that that battle could be handled in a better way. Don't make it less difficult, but more "manageable" and "comprehensive" to the player.
Looking back, the things that really did frustrate me were that :
1/ the Barghests kept knocking out Abigail, and I thought that she would die because of that. I didn't go through the whole ordeal of protecting Abigail from the villagers to have her killed, forcefully, right after without me being able to do a thing about it
2/ there was a note from another Witcher stating that the Beast could only be killed if a "question" was answered correctly. I was actually expecting to be given some kind of way to avoid fighting the beast, or having to find that answer before engaging the battle.
3/ finally, how are we supposed to know that at the *very* moment that we leave Abigail in the cave, Geralt needs to coat his blade with "Specter oil" because he'd have no opportunity to do so after ?
Anyway, CDPROJEKT has my gratitude for giving us such a great game. They truely deserve praise, for it has been such a long time (Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Fallout, Baldur's Gate) that I didn't feel so hooked into a CRPG!
28.10.2007 @ 13:03 #34
* I basically followed the hints posted here.
* The Aard-sign trick is alluded in Berengars writings: he states that the Beast seems to be immune to silver and (!!) Yrden and three other signs. Now, given the fact that, by the time you face the Beast you can only have Aard and Igni, the *question* the Beast asks is: "what sign is dangerous for me?" Igni cannot be dangerous for the Beast since it seems futile to burn an already burning beast, eh? The rest of the signs (Yrden..) are not yet available hence Aard is the sign to choose against that thing.
* I totally agree that the stun knocks you out WAY too long.
* kill the doggies in group mode, use Aard - try to drink swallow to have your health regenerate more quickly. Whenever low on it, just do this: run a large circle (best accomplished in isometric-mode!), having the wild bunch chasing you - they won't get you but your health will be back in no time, then again attack. Always directly attack the Beast after Aard with X strong-mode, eventually when timing is right (and Beast's health is low enough), Geralt will just finish it off while it lies on the ground, taking its puppies along with it...
* do not care too much about Abigail, she won't die - she's just unconscious, will stand up 20 seconds afterwards, fall unconscious again and so on.... she's nice for constant healing but if you focus too much on her it takes ages to kill the Beast, just use the running-circle-trick and everything will be fine.
* the villagers will attack you afterwards but compared to the battle before they're merely a piece o'cake.
have fun! (and take all women you can get ;) )
28.10.2007 @ 14:55 #35
when facing the beast just follow some simple steps:
-use Ard (knokback thingy)
-use group style when surrounded
-drink swallow at the begining or before the fight
-use either strong or fast style on the beast ( i think they both work)
-have fun! ( i love this game!)
28.10.2007 @ 15:39 #36
Don't worry 'bout this battle. Think about: What did you personally feel, as you rescued the nice lady? Proudness? Might? Angry of the folks? Or did you wish to go out an pick some herbes? (Na, don't think so, Kid) Well, keep up that feeling and move forward. What did you feel, as the beast appeared? Fear? No, I think you really wanted to kill that dog. (Isn't that the real role-playing-feeling, the matter, why we go and buy those games and the matter, why we run home to play it?).
And now, why didn't you kill it? This lousy PC-controls, the game environment? Yes, I had this problems, too. But remember, before this battle, we had much opinions, to improve our skills with that. To upgrade Geralt in equip, alchemy, fighting and casting skills to do just this work. Nobody will blame you for playing that game longer (slower?) than the other players. Get the most out of it, enjoy it.
And now again, get this feeling again, feel wild, feel strong, go and kill that beast. Let it make YOUR day. I promise you: Your feelings will be ... priceless ;-)
Wish you good luck, folks
Wolf, you're right :)
28.10.2007 @ 17:08 #37
Abigail always dies and i too shortly after her. I drank all the potions i have but this beast is damn hard. Im wondering how you guys did it ? Is it possible that Abigail survives ?
A little help would be great. :)
28.10.2007 @ 17:51 #38